Driver Class A
Odyssey International Services, Inc. (also known as American Relocation Services) has been handling commercial and residential moving needs for over 20 years in Alaska. We provide our clients with cost-effective, timely and secure transport of personal effects and household goods. With warehouse facilities in Anchorage, Fairbanks and Kenai-Soldotna, Alaska, and in Tacoma, Washington, we are the experts is in Alaska moving and storage.
The primary role of the Class A Driver is to deliver household goods to various customer locations within the local area. The Class A Driver will also assist with packing, loading, and unloading household goods.
Schedules vary daily based on customer needs:
- Start times may vary Monday through Friday
- Schedules are set by Terminal Manager
- Weekend work and/or overtime may be required
- Out of town work as necessary
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates vehicles in compliance with local and state traffic codes/laws and company procedures.
- Strictly observes work schedules and specific delivery requirements set forth by American Fast Freight and their customers.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip inspections on all vehicles assigned to operate and ensures any necessary repairs are completed according to state and federal regulations prior to arriving and/or leaving the terminal.
- Ensures load is properly stowed and secured to prevent shifting or damage due to shifting during transit to the delivery location.
- Examines shipping documents to verify they have all shipments loaded and determine if hazmat is present it is properly segregated/separated, and vehicle is properly placarded in required.
- Uses proper equipment for loading/unloading of household goods to prevent damage to product or injury from strain, etc.
- Knowledge to install and remove single and triple rail tire chains.
- Packing, loading, and delivering of household goods.
- Crate prepping.
- Maintains a professional attitude with customers, co-workers and motoring public.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must have a valid Commercial Driver's License (Class A).
- Must have 1 year of experience driving trucks, semi-trucks/trailers, doubles.
- Must possess a good driving record.
- Must have knowledge of installation and proper use of tire chains.
- Able to follow directions and communicate with others.
- Maintain a professional attitude with customers and coworkers.
- Able to work overtime as needed.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment physical, drug screening, and background check.
- Must be reliable and flexible with schedule.
- Employee must have the ability to read and write the English language.
- Read and understand traffic signs and controls in accordance with FHWA regulations.
- Have the ability to complete bills of ladings, pre-trip and post-trip inspection forms and load manifests in accordance with company and regulatory agency requirements.
- Have the ability to effectively communicate and present information and respond to questions from management, customers and the general public.
- Able to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations professionally.
- He/she must know how to communicate via telephone or radio to dispatch for instruction and or guidance.
- Employee must maintain a valid CDL for the size of vehicle that will be operated, including a valid doubles certification (LLCMV)
- Maintain a DOT physical and furnish a legible copy of CDL and long form physical.
- Current DMV report.
- Certificate of current Hazmat training obtained within the past three years.
- Have endorsements on their CDL to perform duties of the job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Stand, walk, sit, reach with hands and arms, and talk and hear.
- Lift and or move up to (70) pounds and occasionally carry (50) pounds up to (30) feet.
- Move with the aid of a pallet jack, loads in excess of (2,500) pounds, the length of the delivery van, and to locations designated by the customer at the delivery location.
- Move with the aid of a hand truck, loads with boxes stacked 10-15 high, weighing in excess of (100) pounds the length of the delivery van and to locations designated by the customer at the delivery location.
- Work in extreme weather conditions, with temperature variances from + 80 degrees Fahrenheit to – 50 degrees Fahrenheit throughout the course of a season.
- Have the ability for close vision, color vision and the ability to focus, with the aid of glasses, contacts, in needed.
Work Environment and Environmental Conditions:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those and employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
- Continual heavy traffic conditions
- Time sensitive delivery requirements
- Low to moderate noise levels
- Customer service demands
- Extreme weather conditions (i.e.: snow, ice, rain and dust)
- Job Family Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Anchorage, AK, USA