Seasonal Lab Technician
At The Wine Group we are passionate about our people, our future and our wine. We are America’s second largest wine producer by volume with over 1,200 employees globally across 12 locations in California, New York and Australia. We are proud to be responsible for many of America’s most beloved wine brands, including Cupcake, Franzia, Chloe, Concannon, Benziger, Imagery, AVA Grace, 7 Deadly and more. We are dedicated to our culture built on values like entrepreneurialism, innovation, social responsibility and stewardship. To learn about us and our career opportunities, check us out at www.thewinegroup.com and then come join the exciting journey at The Wine Group.
The Seasonal Lab Technician reports to the Lab Quality Services Supervisor and is responsible for performing non-routine / routine chemical / physical analysis, tests required for quality control, research, and development purposes for the evaluation of raw ingredients, and products and processes during our "Crush" season. Assists in compiling, analyzing, and interpreting results. Seasonal position from appx. July - October or November. Must be 18 years or older.
*Additional Stay Pay Bonus opportunity for staying the entire harvest season!*
- Perform wine quality analysis pertaining to grape maturity, White and Red juice analysis, fermentation tracking, press analysis, and wine blending and shipping analysis.
- Ensures accurate operations of all laboratory equipment/instrumentation. Ability to troubleshoot when necessary to ensure accurate results.
- Performs non-routine and routine analysis utilizing appropriate titrimetric, colorimetric, and instrumental methods as required.
- Operates laboratory instruments such as a refractometer, turbidity meters, Oneofoss, pH meter, Fluoride Meter, Alcolyzer / DMA, and other instruments as required to perform duties.
- Maintain and calibrate analytical instruments in the laboratory in optimum operation condition.
- Understands the proper use and preparation of standardized chemical solutions used in the laboratory. Ability to perform preparations when needed.
- Executes data collection, analysis, and reporting of monthly analysis on Inventory of wines held in cellar. Accurately report analysis and flag possible issues.
- Collects samples from tanks in cellar.
- Participate in lab housekeeping and cleaning tasks.
- Assist in relieving the sugar stand employees during lunches and breaks.
- This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
- Must be 18 years or older upon starting employment.
- A.S. or B.S. in Enology, Chemistry, Food Science, or related field preferred but not required.
- Previous winery experience desired but we will do on-the-job training.
- Good working and theoretical knowledge of analytical instrumentation.
- Ability to work and adapt in an environment that has changing priorities and multiple projects.
- Proficient in the following computer applications: Microsoft Word, Excel, and ability to learn new programs.
- Excellent organizational and interpersonal skills with attention to detail.
- Ability to set priorities and work independently within set guidelines.
- Provide good verbal and written communications to all levels of management.
- Demonstrated reliability and punctuality, work effectively in team / crew environment, adherence to all safety regulations and operating procedures.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry weights of up to 50 pounds at varying frequencies.
- Working environment is both indoors and outdoors, with exposure to related equipment and noise levels.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring bending, stooping, standing, and twisting in a production environment.
- Required to climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
At The Wine Group, we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to an environment of mutual respect, diversity and inclusion. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristic protected by law.
- Job Family Winery Operations
- Job Function Operations
- Pay Type Hourly
- Employment Indicator Seasonal
- The Wine Group, 7409 West Central Ave., Fresno, California, United States of America